top of page

Social Services

Lake District Social Services: Kari Rinas
Rotating Staff: Val Pederson (, John LaLonde (
Phone: 701-968-4355

County Social Service Offices partner with the North Dakota Department of Human Services to provide these programs and services to vulnerable individuals and families in order to promote self-sufficiency and safety.

Services for Qualifying Low-Income Individuals and Families

Determine eligibility for economic assistance programs:

  • Child care assistance

  • Children's Health Insurance Program

  • Energy (heating) assistance

  • Medicaid

  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP - formerly called Food Stamps)

  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

Services for Children and Families

Provide direct services for the public child welfare system:

  • Foster care

  • Child protection assessments

  • Family social work

  • Family support and preservation services

  • Licensing studies for child care and foster care

Services for Older Adults and Adults with Disabilities

Involved in providing these services to older adults and adults with disabilities:

  • Case Management

  • In-home care services such as homemaker services and personal care services

Contact information for County Social Service Offices in the "Lake Region"

Ramsey County
524 4th Ave #19
Devils Lake, ND 58301
(701) 662-7050

Towner County
315 2nd St
Cando, ND 58324
(701) 968-4355 Ext 8


ND Department of Human Services

  • Provides direction and oversight of programs such as child welfare services and early childhood services through its regional human service centers.

  • Is responsible for the administration, policy development, training, and distribution of economic assistance program benefits. (County social service offices determine eligibility for economic assistance programs.)

ND Department of Human Services
600 E Boulevard Avenue - Dept 325, Bismarck, ND 58505-0250

701.328.2310, 1.800.472.2622, TTY 701.328.3480


bottom of page